What information is collected?
Information we Collect Automatically
If you visit our website to browse, read, or download information, your web browser automatically sends us information such as the:
- Internet domain through which you access the internet
- Internet protocol address of the computer you are using
- Type of browser software and operating system you are using
- Mobile device information (e.g., device model, device date and time, unique device identifiers, mobile network information)
- How you use our sites, search terms, pages you visit
- Geo-location and date and time you access our site
- Demographic information, including age, gender, and interests
- Internet address of the site from which you linked directly to our site
To make this site work properly, we sometimes place small data files called cookies on your device. A cookie is a small text file that a website saves on your computer or mobile device when you visit the site. It enables the website to remember your actions and preferences (such as login, language, font size and other display preferences) over a period of time, so you don’t have to keep re-entering them whenever you come back to the site or browse from one page to another. FIU Online collects both session and persistent cookies from first and third parties to enhance the customer experience, particularly to:
- Improve website functionality and performance
- Understand user behavior
- Connect visitors to social networks
- Measure the effectiveness of advertisements and web searches
- Remember users’ actions, to identify the user, for online behavioral advertising
- Retarget website visitors with ads on products in which they have expressed interest
Information Provided to Us
We will not obtain personally identifying information about you when you visit our site, unless you choose to provide such information. Types of information we collect may include:
- First and last name
- Mailing address
- Email address
- Phone number(s) either LAN or cellular
- All applicant data submitted at the time of application
Any and all information collected may be saved indefinitely.
How is your information used?
Examples of how we use the information we collect include:
- Respond to requests for information about our degree programs and other products and services.
- Communicate Information about our products, services, events and for other promotional purposes, via calls, emails or texts. These methods of contact may be generated using an automated technology system.
- Improve the effectiveness of our website, products, services, and marketing efforts.
- General research and analysis purposes.
- Legal compliance.
What Choices do you Have?
If you do not wish to any type of direct mail, please call FIU Online at 305-348-3125 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to opt out.
If you do not wish to receive promotional telephone calls, please call FIU Online at 305-348-3125 or email email@example.com to opt out.
If you do not wish to receive promotional emails from us, please call FIU Online at 305-348-3125 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to opt out. You may also have the ability to unsubscribe from certain promotional emails via the unsubscribe link included in each promotional email.
How is your personal information protected?
General We maintain administrative, technical, and physical safeguards to protect your personal information and we use industry standard methods to protect that information. Please note that no website, database or system is completely secure or “hacker proof.” You are also responsible for taking reasonable steps to protect your personal information against unauthorized disclosure or misuse. Admissions Your information will not be used in the admissions process. In the event that data that we collect identifies your race, ethnicity, gender, religion, national origin, or sexual orientation, none of that collected information will be shared with the admissions department of Florida International University (FIU); these attributes will in no way factor into FIU’s admission decision. FIU’s non-discrimination policy opens admittance to students of all races, ethnicities, genders, religions, national origins, and sexual orientations. Your rights, privileges, and access to all academic programs, financial aid, and activities are granted free from selections made on the basis of any of the aforementioned attributes.
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (“FERPA”), as well as Florida Statute (1002.225, F.S.) and the University’s FERPA Regulation (FIU-108)govern the education records of FIU students. We will not release any personal student information, other than to university personnel or agents strictly for legitimate educational purposes. However, student directory information may be released without the student’s written consent. Directory information includes:
- Student’s name, local and permanent address, and telephone numbers
- Date and place of birth
- Student classification and major and minor fields of study
- Participation in officially recognized activities and sports
- Weight and height of members of athletic teams
- Dates of attendance, degrees and awards received
- The most recent previous educational agency or institution attended by the student
- Photographic image
“Phishing” is a scam designed to steal your personal information. If you receive an email that looks like it is from us asking you for your personal information, do not respond. We will never request your password, username, credit card information or other personal information through email.
Children’s Personal Information
Our website is not intended for or targeted at children under 13, and we do not knowingly or intentionally collect information about children under 13. If you believe that we have collected information about a child under 13, please contact us immediately so that we may delete the information.
How is your information shared?
FIU Online may share the information we collect with companies that provide support services to us (such as printers, mail houses, email providers, mobile marketing services, analytics providers, contracted advertisers, web-hosting providers, call center/chat providers, enrollment or recruitment vendors) or that help us market our products and services. These companies may need information about you in order to perform their functions on our behalf. Information will not be disclosed to other third parties or other government agencies, unless required by state or federal law. Please note that Florida’s public records law requires that all information received in connection with state business including email addresses, be made available to anyone upon request, unless the information is subject to a specific statutory exemption. If you do not want your email address disclosed as a public record, please contact the university via telephone or by mail.
How to update your personal information?
In order to keep your personal information accurate and complete, please contact our FIU Online Contact Center at 305-348-3125 or email@example.com with your current contact information.
How do I opt out of the data-collection process?
For more information about Inspectlet, including instructions on how to opt out of Inspectlet’s service, please see https://www.inspectlet.com/optout. If you would like to be completely removed from the FIU Online database of website leads, please contact us at 305-348-3125 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to request removal of any collected information.
How do I contact FIU Online?
FIU Online 11200 SW 8th Street MANGO 540 Miami, FL 33199 305-348-3125