Admitted students who have demonstrated financial need or receive a full scholarship can receive a deposit waiver.
We know that there are many reasons for an admitted student to be unable to pay the $200 deposit according to our published deadline. Waivers are granted to those who meet one of the conditions below. Should you require a waiver, and do not meet one of the conditions below, you are to contact your assigned Admissions Recruiter at least seven (7) business days prior to the published deadline.
Demonstrated financial need must meet one of the following conditions:
- Have an EFC (Expected Family Contribution) of $0 - $1500 on FAFSA.
- Received free or reduced lunch in high school (documentation needed).
- Used an application fee waiver to apply to FIU. Students who qualify will be sent an email with further instructions that must be completed according to the deposit deadlines.
- Employed by FIU or a dependent of an FIU employee.
- Be in the care of the State of Florida.
- Be an active military or a veteran (dependent and spouse included).
- Be receiving homeless education benefits from the State of Florida
- Be receiving vocational rehabilitation benefits from the State of Florida
If you or your family have been impacted by loss of job, reduction of hours or a furlough due to COVID-19, please submit a copy of the letter from your or your parent/guardian’s employer; or statement of unemployment.