- What are FIU's Graduate Admissions requirements?
Requirements vary depending on the program. For a list of admissions requirements, please visit our Admissions Requirements page.
- How do I apply for Graduate Admissions?
Here is a list of the documents you will need to provide in order to apply. All of this information is explained in more depth on our Graduate Applicant page.
Graduate application (available online here).
$30 non-refundable application fee. This can be paid online with a credit card or by mailing a check or money order in U.S. funds payable to Florida International University.
GRE or GMAT test scores (if your program requires it) sent officially from the testing center. Our GRE school code is 5206. To check program requirements and deadlines, please visit our Admissions Requirements page.
TOEFL scores (if required) sent officially from the testing center. Students need a minimum score of 550 paper-based or 80 internet-based. We also accept IELTS scores sent directly from the testing center. Students need a minimum score of 6.5. Duolingo results are also accepted through spring 2022 with a minimum score of 105.
Official University/College transcripts from all institutions previously attended in an official, sealed envelope. (If the transcripts issued by your institution are not in English, you must submit a translated copy in addition to the official transcripts. The translation must be done by an official translation service or official translator duly accredited in the United States or your home country).
Any other documents such as recommendation letters, resume, and/or statement of purpose may be required by your department. Their formats may also vary so you will need to contact the specific department in this regard. For department requirements and deadlines, please visit here.
- What are the application deadlines?
Some academic departments have specific application deadlines. View program deadlines.
If a program does not have a specific deadline, the following apply:
The deadlines to apply are:
Fall - June 1st
Spring - October 1st
Summer - March 1st
- Can I apply to a graduate program if I have not finished my Bachelor’s degree yet?
We encourage students to apply to a graduate program as early as the beginning of their senior year in college. However, in order to finalize their admission (and no later than their first semester), students will need to request an updated set of transcripts that show degree was awarded.
- How can I meet with someone from Graduate Admissions?
FIU Graduate Admissions staff is meeting with prospective students. To schedule a meeting with a representative from our team or attend one of our virtual information sessions, please visit go.fiu.edu/visit and scroll down to Graduate School Students.
- How can I qualify for Florida residency?
In order to be eligible to qualify for Florida Residency an applicant must belong to one of the following categories:
- U.S. Citizen or Legal Resident Alien
- Holder of (or dependent of) one of the following visas: A, E, G, H1, I, K, L, N, 01, R, NATO, I-7, T or V.
To establish Florida residency you must provide at least two of the following forms of proof. They must be dated one year prior to the term you are seeking admission:
- Driver's license
- Vehicle Registration
- Florida ID with Declaration of Domicile
- Voter's Registration
- Tax Return with Declaration of Domicile
- Professional License issued by the State of Florida
If there are any discrepancies or if additional forms of proof are requested, you must provide one or more of the following:
- Employment letter with current W-2 or W-4
- Bank letter- Indicating activity in checking account for 12 consecutive months
- In-state tuition receipt from another Florida State School (within the last 12 months)
- Active Military orders
- Letter from a Utility company
- Lease, rental or mortgage contract
- Warranty Deed
- Current Florida Public School Contract
- Marriage Certificate (dependant of Florida Resident)
- Immigration papers (Alien Card, Work Permit, Asylum Approval, Visa Approval, etc. as required by the Graduate Admissions Office)
All applicants must also complete the Residency Classification form. The form must be completed, signed, and submitted along with photocopies of the respective documents.
- How do I cancel my application?
If you wish to cancel your application, please put your request in writing and e-mail us at email@example.com. Remember to include your Panther ID number.